A bit a Culture and History with our friends at Untapped Cities!
Morningside Park is experiencing something of a renaissance in recent years, with booming real estate in Morningside Heights and Harlem surrounding it.
The picturesque park seems to have it all – grand landscapes, practical outdoor amenities, landmarked architecture, and commanding views.
Today, we’ll go through some of the most fun secrets and fun facts we came across while researching for a talk we gave with the Design Trust for Public Space inside Morningside Park last week.
10. Morningside Heights is Built Atop Manhattan Schist Up to 30 Million Years Old
9. Morningside Park Was Not Part of the Manhattan Street Grid
8. There Has Only Been One Road to Ever Go through Morningside Park, And It’s Long Been Lost
7. Until a Few Decades Ago, There Was a Blockhouse from 1812 in Morningside Park
6. Morningside Park Had a Vastly Different Original Plan
5. Some of NYC’s Most Famous Architects Worked on Morningside Park
4. There Used to be an Elevated Railway Next to Morningside Park
3. There Was a Massive Columbia University Protest Over a Gym in Morningside Park
2. The Remnants of the Gym Were Converted into a Pond and Waterfall
1. The Saga of the Statue of Lafayette and Washington in Morningside Park
Here for the original post, with pictures!
Text by: Michelle Young from UntappedCities
Photo Credit: Benjamin Waldman