New York has it all when it comes to food and this time I set a challenge to answer the question: Will a meat eater survive in 3 Vegan restaurants in New York? Watch the video below to see what happened!
Plant-Based, Vegan, Vegetarian, Pescatarian, Flexitarian, Frutarian, Paleotarian, Pollotarian, etc….and of course, Carnivore.
What the heck, right!? How are we even able to know and understand what these all these different diets are, especially if, we’re not adept to one of them.
As many of you know, I’m vegetarian and that means that I don’t eat any type of meat or fish. But, I still eat some animal products like cheese, eggs and honey. On the other hand, I totally love vegan food, which means that there is absolutely no meat and no animal-based products in the diet.
Might sound crazy to some, but vegan food can be SO damn good. And, when I say good, it’s to the point that my meat eating friends love it too and ask to go back!
That said, I decided to throw a challenge to a carnivorous friend that you’ve probably already met in my other food videos.
Jared Zuckerman, from Eat and Be Full, is once again with me and this time I took him to 3 vegan restaurants that I personally go all the time with my friends.
The idea was for him, as a huge meat eater, to try vegan food and let us know what he thought about them. So, check it out in the video above!
Little Choc Apothecary
I don’t get tired about talking and sharing my love for Little Choc Apothecary, located in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
They are the first and only vegan crêperie in New York serving savory and sweet options, in addition to a huge tea menu.
This time, we had the:
- Jacked Up: smoky pulled jackfruit, caramelized onion, roasted red pepper, kale and homemade BBQ sauce
- Burrito: avocado, coconut bacon, black beans, homemade chipotle hot sauce and homemade cashew cheese
- Choc Butter Newtella: no need for explanations, but it’s their famous homemade hazelnut spread
Monday – Thursday: 8am – 11pm
Friday: 8am – 12am
Saturday: 9am – 12am
Sunday: 9am – 11pm
Location: 141 Havemeyer Street, Brooklyn
Marty’s V Burger
One of the most famous vegan burgers in town was created by a genius guy called Marty!
It became famous across town in no time, and since Jared is into burgers, I decided to take him there. As we’ve said before during the yearly NYC Vegetarian Food Festival, Marty’s V Burger is a “Fast Food. No Bull.” type of place. Totally up our alley!
Everything there is homemade and you’ll be amazed at how tasty every dish is!
We ordered the:
- Original World Famous Burger: a burger patty topped with melted cheddar “cheese”, special sauce, pickles, and crisp shredded lettuce, on a sesame seed bun!
- Double Crabby Patty: seared crispy on the outside, two succulent crablike patty topped with jalapeño tartar sauce and lettuce on a sesame seed bun; can be GF on a gluten free bun
Monday – Saturday: 11am – 10pm
Sunday: 11am – 8pm
Location: 134 East 27th Street
Bar Velo Brooklyn
This has been my lasted obsession and I can’t seem to stay away!
Bar Velo Brooklyn is located in a curious spot, right under a subway track in South Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
A few people might be a bit skeptic about the location, but I do have to say that I do like where it’s at. Why? Probably because it surely keeps the huge masses of tourists away, attracting mostly the hip local crowd, as well as the well-informed tourists, like you!!!
I love everything from the décor, to absolutely all the dishes and their cocktail menu.
Here, we tried a couple of different dishes:
- BLT Burger: Tempeh bacon, avocado, organic tomato and lettuce on grilled baguette
- BBQ Burger: Eggplant sandwich with aioli and pickles
- Flatbread: Truffle mushroom, bacon, “sour cream” flatbread
- Dessert: Panacotta with aged balsamic
- Cocktail #2: Scotch, Ginger, Lemon, Islay, Burned Rosemary
- Cocktails #4: Hot Whiskey, Maple, Lemon,Ginger, Cloves, Candied Clementine
Twilight Drink Hours (daily): 5:30pm – 7:30pm
Dinner (daily): 5:30pm – 12am
Saturday & Sunday Brunch: 11am – late
Location: 394 Broadway, Brooklyn
As you saw on the video, Jared had a great time trying all these vegan restaurants with me!
As I said in the beginning, my dear friend meat eaters out there, do try these spots out. You will be amazing with what Vegan Cuisine can taste like!
Don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to our channel, come explore New York with me and welcome to our Behind the Scenes NYC world!
Videographer: Renata Meirelles
Photographer: Yoav Hougui and courtesy of the venues
Beauty: Leila Soldeira
Styling: Camilla Adão
*Last Update on Feb/2020.*