Winter is very nearly upon us. With winter comes cold weather which can affect the appearance of your skin, hair, makeup, and even your mood. Today we bring you some great NYC winter beauty tips!
The cold weather can cause your hair to become dry and more prone to breakages. Your skin can become dry, sore and irritated, and your makeup doesn’t sit the same on your face because of this.
Thankfully, all is not lost! There are a wide range of things you could be doing during the winter to keep you looking and feeling as good as ever.
So, come take a look at the amazing winter beauty tips!
You may be experiencing dry, chapped, and sore skin because the weather has cooled down. But, more often than not the cause for these symptoms is because of what you’re putting into or onto your body.
Here’s some tips to help keep your skin moisturized and glowing:
- Always remove makeup at the end of the day. It might be tempting to jump straight into bed after a long day in the winter months, but failing to do this could cause your skin to break out in acne or even worse, blackheads. Prevent any breakouts and stick to a skincare routine.
- Once you’ve cleaned your face, it’s important to use a moisturizer that’s deep in hydration. Opt for lotions and creams that don’t contain any perfumes or harsh chemicals to ensure you’re maintaining the right pH balance on your skin. Doing this will also help prevent your skin from drying out, causing it to flake and crack. Checking out this article on Dry Patches On Skin: Symptoms, Causes, And Treatment may help you determine why you’re suffering with dry skin.
- When it comes to bathing or showering, your best bet is to switch to products that are designed for sensitive skin. Because your skin is more exposed to the elements in the colder months, it becomes less resilient. Products that are packed full of fragrance and other chemicals could irritate your skin. E45 is a wonderful skincare brand that also makes bathing products, so consider switching to that – even if just for the winter months – to add some extra moisture into your skin.
- Ditch cheap makeup brands! Makeup products that come at a higher cost are more likely to contain ingredients that are going to be kinder to the skin. Not only that, but it will also sit better on your face too.
For most people, their hair is their pride and joy and when it becomes broken, damaged and dry it can seem like the end of the world.
Luckily, there are a few simple tips you can follow to keep it in the best condition possible:
- Avoid dying your hair, especially in the winter months. The cold weather itself is damaging to the hair and dying it will only make it more prone to breakages.
- Visit your hairdresser regularly for a trim. Cutting off dead ends can reduce the appearance of dry hair and help keep your hair healthy and strong.
- Choose moisture-locking serums to apply to your hair after washing. These serums should also contain a heat protectant if you’re planning on using the hair dryer on your hair.
- Never brush your hair when it’s wet. Your hair is much more susceptible to damage when it’s wet and brushing it will pull on your hair and snap. If this is something you’ve always done, you’ll notice much more hair comes out when you brush it wet. If you absolutely need to detangle after washing your hair, use a wet brush.
- Spend a little more to get a quality branded shampoo and conditioner. Your hair will thank you for it, and you’ll notice your hair is much softer and shinier.
- Try to avoid scraping your hair back into a ponytail or a bun. This can put pressure on your hair and compromise its integrity.
We all know that what you put into your body reflects on the outside! And this is life changing when we talk about the winter beauty tips!
So, if you’re not eating a good diet then your skin will out you! Stopping or cutting down on junk foods that are full of man-made ingredients and switching to natural produce will make a world of difference to your skin.
There are foods, however, that are particularly good for the skin, so where possible try and stock up on these foods. Any food that contains Omega 3 will help the appearance of your skin, and it’s really good for your health overall.
Other foods like oily fish, nuts, avocados, cucumber, sweet potato, olive oil, spinach and eggs are also incredibly beneficial to the skin. Loading up on foods that contain vitamin A, C and Zinc will also greatly benefit your health and your skin.
One thing that many people fail to do is drink enough water! Water helps the skin maintain its elasticity, flushes out toxins, prevents wrinkles and helps keep the body healthy in general.
If you’re struggling to consume the 2 liters of water each day, you could try one of two things to increase how much water you drink:
- Purchase a water bottle with time stamps on the outside. Many people find drinking a little often helps them achieve the goal. Plus, it’s fun to monitor how much you’ve consumed!
- Consider investing in an Air Up. These are fairly new to the game, and they allow the user to drink pure water without even realizing it! You can achieve this by using scent to make the you think you’re drinking flavored water. The product has been highly successful, so if you struggle with consuming enough water, it’s worth a go!
Did you know that your mood or your mental health can greatly affect how your hair and skin look and feel. This could be because you haven’t slept enough, or it could be due to a low mood.
It’s important to make sure you do things that make you happy and that you give yourself time to regenerate and relax. Doing things to make you happy will reflect on your hair and skin – when you’re happy it shows on the outside!
A bath and a bit of “me time” won’t solve all of life’s issues. But, it can certainly help you relax so that you get enough sleep ready to tackle another day. Remember that if you’re leading a stressful life, it’s important to prioritise which stresses are worth the hassle.
If you are struggling with low mood, anxiety or signs of depression then it’s important to speak to your Doctor as soon as possible. Be sure to talk about what kinds of treatment are available to you.
Mental health should never be ignored, and improving your mental health will show on the outside too.
Finally, there are other factors that may be causing your hair and skin to be less than optimal. These other factors are mainly alcohol and smoking, and are crucial when talking about winter beauty tips.
Here’s why you should cut down or avoid them altogether:
Drinking alcohol regularly will dehydrate your skin and contribute towards premature aging of the skin.
Even if you drink plenty of water after a drinking session, your body has still lost a significant amount of its hydration levels. And your hair and skin will suffer because of this.
While alcohol in small doses is not dangerous, avoid binge drinking for your health, hair, and skin.
You don’t need to be lectured on why smoking is bad for your health. But, like alcohol, smoking can affect the way you look too.
It also causes premature aging of the skin, yellows your teeth, and makes you smell.
Quit smoking now for your health and your appearance.