Grand Central Terminal is a New York landmark that we just can’t ignore. This is actually one of our favorite spots in the city and the secret stories behind this monumental place is incredible. Below are some curiosities you will enjoy!
We have to confess: we are a little obsessed with the Grand Central Terminal and its story. In addition, we’ve written about them before and we never get tired. There is just so many behind the scenes secret stories to share…
Everything is thrilling, from all the secrets it holds, to the uncovered mysterious places in it, to the breathtaking architecture and the startling number of people that passed by it daily – 750,000!
That is to say, our friends at Untapped Cities have put together a sensational post with 10 quick curiosities about the Grand Central Terminal. We decided to share it with you!
So, did you know that:
- You can play tennis in Grand Central;
- There is a top secret room that doesn’t even appear on maps or blueprints;
- A hidden brick is an effective, if unintentional, anti-smoking ad;
- Some of the iron eagles have gone missing;
- No one knows if the “whispering gallery” was built to whisper on purpose;
- Grand Central houses a hidden bar;
- The sculptor who designed the statue in front of the building was kind of a snob;
- Track 61 still serves as a means of clandestine transportation;
- Grand Central has the largest basement of any building in New York City;
- And last, the ceiling is backwards!
If you enjoy uncovering these types of spots when you travel, we offer a fantastic Secret Behind The Scenes Grand Central Terminal Tour that will blow your mind. You will have an experience that not everyone is able to have. Plus, we visit many of the spots that we mentioned on the list above!
Super cool, right?
Location: 89 East 42nd Street
Text Excerpts: Originally from Untapped Cities
Photo Credit: Anu Mahendran from anoomaggie.blogspot.com