New York’s maritime roots are often overlooked and ignored, but come explore the NYC’s Maritime History Tour with us and go to some pretty cool parts of town!
New York is New York because of its situation on one of the world’s best harbors. And, NYC’s Maritime History Tour will tell you everything about this!
For the first three and half centuries of its life, this city was defined and sustained by its maritime operations.
However, in the past few decades most of the 8 million people who call New York City home or the 60 million people who visit annually barely even give a second thought to the harbor, bays, rivers, or boats that used to define and supply this popular set of islands.
New York’s maritime roots are often overlooked and ignored.
Take a journey back through lower Manhattan with Untapped Cities guides Justin Rivers and Mandy Edgecombe to experience New York as the world’s greatest ports of call.
- Explore the early Dutch era maritime history through the stories of infamous sea captains Adrian Block and William Kidd
- Get access onto the Wavertree at South Street Seaport, including inside its great hull. “There isn’t a ship in the world that has a space like this,” South Street Seaport Executive Director Jonathan Boulware
- Walk the less-charted trail along the historic east side slips including Old Slip and Coenties
- Learn about New York’s old buried ships on both the Hudson and East River shores and New York’s old floating churches
- Discover other related sites including the International Merchant Marine Building, The Cunard Building, the Alexander Hamilton Custom House and a stop at the stunning Merchant Marine Memorial by the historic Pier A building
- Visit South Street Seaport for the history of this unique museum, its historic ships and unparalleled views of the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan skyline
- Your ticket includes entry into the South Street Seaport Museum
- Price: $35
- What to know: This tour is approximately 2-hours long and is completely outdoors. The tour will end at the South Street Seaport.
- What to wear: Please dress appropriately for the weather and wear comfortable shoes!
You might also enjoy the “Secrets of the Brooklyn Bridge Walking Tour“, “Behind The Scenes Tour at the Abandoned Ellis Island Hospital” and “Secret Behind The Scenes Grand Central Terminal Tour“.
Furthermore, for corporate requests, let our experts help you out.
Lastly, you can always explore all our other Tours & Experiences! We’re sure you’ll enjoy them all!
Photo Credit: Courtesy of our partner and AFineLyne, for our Partner
*Last Update on Feb/2020.*