New York is known for its fantastic variety of cuisines from all over the globe. Plus, we know that there are certain iconic foods that you really have to try, when coming here! Explore with us the Tenements, Tales and Tastes Tour that will take you on a delicious journey around the Lower East Side of Manhattan.
When people come to New York, not many know that all these delicious dishes and snacks were actually brought to New York by immigrates years and years ago. And, it definitely helped shape the diverse American food culture found in NYC! We are certainly huge fans!
As you already know, we are all about going where locals go, eating where true New Yorkers eat, uncover spots far away from the touristy scene! If you enjoy this type of experience too, then this tour was catered perfectly for you!
The Lower East Side of Manhattan has a fantastic history and countless stories of the immigrants that settled there. The neighborhood grew a lot, but you can easily find it’s origins.
You’ll enjoy the story of the millions of immigrants and taste several delicious dishes like pretzels, dumplings, potato knishes, waffles, homemade cheeses and even beer, of the many groups that have lived there.
Learning their origin in a fun, tasty way, is totally up our alley and is exactly what you can expect at the Tenements, Tales and Tastes Tour.
Plus, you’ll also walk the narrow, tenement lined, streets of an area known by names like Kleindeutschland, Chinatown, and Losaida.
Whether they were Dutch, Jewish, or Chinese you’ll learn about and taste something from every group that has called the neighborhood home and you’ll leave happy and full!
So, come enjoy with us and have some delicious food throughout this experience!
- Discover NYC from a local perspective, with a local guide by your side
- Visit bustling markets and sample the tasty treats on offer
- Stroll through New York’s unique cultural historic sites in the Lower East Side, Chinatown, and Little Italy.
- Get a glimpse into New York’s immigrant heritage and how it is shaping the city today
Rates & Details:
- $69 / person – includes food & guide
- Duration is about 3 hours
- Tour meets at the fountain in City Hall Park
- Advanced purchase required
- Schedule: Every day at 10am
- Dress standard: Summers can be hot and humid, autumn can be cool, and winters downright frigid with snow. Dress according to the weather and wear comfortable walking shoes
- Exclusions: Items of a personal nature, tips and gratuities for your guide (highly appreciated, tks!)
- Your Trip: The tour is offered on a “join in” basis. Maximum group size is 12.
- Confirmation of booking: If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We’ll see you at the start point. Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
- Child Policy: This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
In addition, if you enjoyed the Tenements, Tales and Tastes Tour in the Lower East Side, but you’d like to book a tour for a private group, please submit a request. Furthermore, for corporate requests, let our experts help you out.
Don’t forget to explore all our other Tours & Experiences too!
Photo Credit: Courtesy of our partner