Central Park is certainly one of the most beautiful and famous parks around the world! But, its secrets are still very well-kept. Come explore the Secrets of Central Park Walking Tour.
Did you know that Central Park was once the site of a former African-American village?
Or that it was previously home to an infamous casino, where alcohol flowed throughout the Prohibition?
For almost 160 years, Central Park has been the green heart of the city, serving as a pastoral haven for New Yorkers and visitors alike.
It’s been not only the scenery of countless famous movies, but also a memorable spot in many hearts that have experienced breathtaking wedding proposals in the middle of the park.
Even so, it still holds many secrets that have yet to be discovered. On this walking NYC tour we’ll explore the history behind some of its best-loved and hidden sites.
Learn about the genesis, design, and evolution of the immense green space, while uncovering its many outrageous happenings, scandals and more.
- Hear about the massive civic project that transformed a wasteland into an urban pleasure ground
- Learn about the curious origins of the Central Park Zoo and the corruption scandal that caused a riot
- Uncover the hidden meaning in Bethesda Terrace’s sculptures and the forbidden love that inspired the park’s most famous statue
- See the secret bolt left behind from the creation of Manhattan’s street grid
- Discover the secret navigational device that keeps pedestrians from getting lost on the park’s winding paths
Price: $35 / person
What to bring: Comfortable walking shoes
What to know: The tour is approximately 2 hours long and covers 2 miles. Note: some of the walking surfaces are uneven and require ascending a moderate incline.
Ticket Confirmation: After you book this experience, you will receive a confirmation email from our partner confirming you are attending the tour!
This is truly a great NYC tour and we always love doing it.
You might also enjoy the “Secrets of the Brooklyn Bridge Walking Tour“, “Behind The Scenes Tour at the Abandoned Ellis Island Hospital” and “Secret Behind The Scenes Grand Central Terminal Tour“.
Photo Credit: Courtesy of Noel Y. C. (aka NYCLovesNYC). Pictures taken during the Fall season.